Our Government Affairs program is at the heart of our mission… to help local businesses thrive.
As one of the largest membership organizations in the region representing nearly 750 businesses, the Flagler County Chamber, along with its staff members and volunteers work year-round to ensure that our city, county, state and federal representatives are aware of the issues that affect our business community. Locally, governmental issues are monitored by our Business Issues Committee and Economic Alliance Council
which meet monthly to consider and discuss opportunities and challenges for economic development and business growth and make recommendations to our Board of Directors when action is required or recommended.
Chamber staff and volunteer leaders maintain close working relationships with members of the Palm Coast City Council
, the Bunnell City Commission
, the Flagler Beach City Commission
and Flagler County Commissions
, as well as the leadership of most major city and county departments. And, our Government Affairs Director works diligently to bridge the communication gap between local government and area businesses.
Through our collaboration with the Florida Chamber of Commerce
and Northeast Florida Regional Chamber Alliance, the Flagler County Chamber of Commerce is an active pro-business voice locally and in Tallahassee, helping to voice the concerns of a business community that might otherwise go unnoticed.
To increase engagement, we host several high-profile events and programs prior to election season: the Flagler Public Leadership Institute,
a free training program for prospective, undeclared candidates, Flagler Votes
candidate forums and the Flagler Hob Nob
, which was held in August 2016.
Our other government affairs services and activities include:
- Building productive relationships/partnerships with state legislators, county and municipal officials and staff
- Identifying Government/Legislative Priorities prior to the legislative session in Tallahassee and meeting with lawmakers to share this agenda.
- Hosting events and programs to encourage voter and candidate education, and to increase understanding of issues. (Note: The Flagler County Chamber does not endorse candidates and all activities are nonpartisan in nature.)
- Representing the Chamber and its members at public forums.
- Educating chamber members about relevant issues and encouraging them to share their support or opposition with elected officials.
- Maintaining open lines of communications and collaborating with the Florida Chamber.
- Collaborating with the Northeast Florida Regional Chamber Alliance to produce, promote and influence a regional legislative agenda.
- Listening to members and identifying opportunities to actively advocate on their behalf.
- Publishing a quarterly government affairs e-newsletter, The Pulse.
If you own a business in Flagler County and need our help from a legislative or government affairs standpoint or would like more information, please contact Gretchen Smith
. We’re happy to help our local business community however we can.